I think I could say this without any hesitation. The Neon Museum, or Neon Boneyard as the locals call it, is by far the coolest place to visit in las vegas. hands down.
I have been wanting to go visit this desert lot of old las vegas signs ever since I've heard about it a couple years ago!
This is becoming the new hot spot for celebrities to shoot videos (The Killers, Carrie Underwood) and numerous photo shoots for engaged couples and the UNLV Rebels cheerleaders.
A little history about the museum...since vegas isn't culturally known for its amazing architecture, it IS known for the many cool signs that have lit up the valley over the decades. And because a hotel gets imploded pretty much every other year, we need to keep the parts of the history we do have of our town.
Betty Willis was the designer of many of the signs that are on this old lot which originate from the 50's. Most of you will recognize one of her more famous designs...
Needless to say, this woman is amazing! I never knew about her before this tour!
All of the signs are either completely donated or on loan. Some casinos that are still in business have already contracted with the boneyard to donate their signs if and/or when they go out of business.
They just started construction on making this plot of land more into a museum just last week! I'm excited for what it will look like and to reminiscence of old vegas history!
Can you tell I want to volunteer to be a tour guide in the museum?
Anyway, Janelle, Josh, Paul, Ashlee and I went to visit and we didn't want to leave! After 200 pictures (...true story...) I collaged a few together!
Anyone who wants to visit Vegas, I'll gladly go again with you!
Aladdin's lamp and his 3 vegas wishes.
money. marriage. sin.
4 comments:
ahhh!!! this is making me so sad i haven't been there yet!
makes me want to visit vegas!!!
I had no idea this existed. You always have the coolest ideas. You would be the best tour guide ever.
PS. Great pics. Where do you make the cool collages.
PSS I am triathaloning in March. Are you in? I need you to give me training pointers. Perhaps over yogurt or greek food??
Post a Comment